Crest of a Peacock Introduction - Reflection
While reading this chapter, I was surprised to find out about how the Greeks attributed the Egyptians to be a significant help in the learning and development of their own mathematics, in contrast with how Europeans claimed that their knowledge came almost solely from the Greeks, and that math used by the Egyptians was dismissed as “little importance to the later history of the subject” (p. 4). This was surprising to me since the text mentions that the Eurocentric model views Europe as the inheritor of Greek heritage, but at the same time the credit that was given by Greek people is ignored by their “descendants”.
Lastly, I found the distinction of the term Greek before and after Alexander to be quite interesting. Not only because I had never considered this distinction when talking about the Greeks, but also because it’s very fascinating how deeply one name can change a civilization or social system. In that sense, it is also interesting to connect that to how much a discovery in math can change a civilization, and I’m looking forward to learning about both more in the future.
.jpg)
I kept thinking about your point that Europeans saw themselves as inheritors of Greek knowledge, but didn’t necessarily inherit the Greeks’ acknowledgement of where some of that knowledge came from. That feels like an important part of the article’s argument—what gets passed down is not only mathematical knowledge, but also a particular story about where that knowledge came from
ReplyDelete