The Market Scale Problem

This problem was quite challenging for me, maybe partially because I’ve only taken one number theory class and I didn’t really find I connected with it. Either way, I was able to find a solution to the problem, but almost completely by trial and error. I’ve attached my work because I still think the way I worked through the problem is interesting, but I unfortunately don’t feel I have a strong grasp as to why the weights must be 1, 3, 9, and 27. I see that they are all powers of 3 (and this gives me the intuition that the idea relates to bases), and I know that each combination of adding and subtracting these 4 numbers had to be unique in order to get every number from 1 to 40, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to make sense of the solution beyond this. Additionally, when I write out the math, I can see the pattern emerging of how the numbers interact and it seems intuitive in some way to me that we can use these numbers as a base to create numbers 1 through 40. However, I haven’t been able to find a way to describe this pattern mathematically.

Similarly, after brute-force solving this question, the follow up question about 5 weights and a single-sided scale was much easier to guess and to understand. Just recognizing that 2^0+2^1+2^2+2^3+2^4 = 31 and that the last question had to do with powers of 3, I was able to figure out quickly that the weights would have to be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. Further, I know that I can write any number in base 10 as a combination of powers of 2, so it was easy to reason that my guess worked without having to test every number like I did in the original problem posed. I think the difficulty going between this one and the original question is that I’m not sure how to fit subtracting numbers rather than strictly adding into it all.

I think puzzles like this are fun to bring into a math classroom just to explore fun math and gain some number sense and appreciation for the applications of math without the associated pressures of a regular lesson or unit. Once again, since I wasn’t able to reason out the original problem, it feels hard to find a way to extend it to a classroom setting. The one idea I have relating to the follow up problem is using this in a history of math class as a way to motivate the idea of base 2 (and other bases) and developing some sense of transferring between bases before giving it a name and introducing it as conversion between bases. I think this gives students a tool to constantly reference as they are learning about bases and dealing with something that probably feels abstract and new to them.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time calculation readings

Why teach math history response

Crest of a Peacock Introduction - Reflection