Time calculation readings
I had never really thought deeply about why our system for time was the way it was. This is funny to me because I find I’m so quick to point out that the imperial system is confusing and how it's way easier to use the metric system. I now realize that the metric system is in part more intuitive because it uses the decimal system (and because it’s the system I’ve used my whole life, so I’m used to it). However, since I’ve only had the one way to think about time, I’ve never really thought about why there are 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, or 12 months in the year. I found it surprising that the article from Scientific America attributed Egyptians to using a base 12 system to develop hours in a day, whereas the article from Mac Tutor claimed that no major civilization used the base 12 system. I was surprised to read that minutes and seconds come from dividing the degrees of latitude and longitude into smaller segments. I’ve never thought about tim...

Comments
Post a Comment