Why teach math history response

 Prior to the reading, I feel that math history seems important to incorporate into my own math teaching, to make the subject feel more grounded in reality and relevant to more students. From my experience, math can be a very abstract topic that students often have difficulty grasping. By connecting the subject to a historical context (perhaps to motivate the lesson as well), I believe that more students would be able to connect to the material presented, as they would have more ways to relate it to their own lives and other topics.

Throughout the reading, once concept I found interesting was exploring math history as a tool for teachers to identify points of friction within student learning (page 211). I have forgotten in some ways what it’s like to learn basic trigonometry or algebra, and thus I can imagine having a hard time understanding why students are stuck on certain steps of learning. I think this gives an interesting way to help solve this disconnect between many teachers and their students. I also really appreciated the perspective of using famous mathematicians as role models to help students not get discouraged by failures, uncertainties or misunderstandings (page 207). Considering math can be a very uncomfortable topic to learn at times, and that it involves a lot of time spent towards making mistakes, I can understand why so many students feel discouraged by the subject and end up avoiding it or hating it. Especially in high school where students are often comparing themselves to one another, bringing in the failures and mistakes of past mathematicians could make learning math appear like a journey with ups and downs rather than a linear path. Hopefully this perspective helps encourage students to be more accepting of feeling vulnerable in the learning process. 

After reading the article, I realize there are many more ways to integrate history of math into the classroom than I had realized, and that the benefits from this integration are also much vaster than I thought. While I liked the idea of integrating math history into my class, I now feel that I have a more ideas to implement it in an actual classroom setting, in a way that hopefully feels natural and interesting to my students.


Comments

  1. Your point about forgetting what it was like to learn basic algebra or trigonometry for the first time really stood out to me. I think this connects well to the article because looking at how these ideas developed historically might help us understand why some concepts that seem simple to us as teachers can actually be difficult for students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time calculation readings

Crest of a Peacock Introduction - Reflection